Vacancy – Senior Policy Adviser
25 November 2015
The Academy of Social Sciences and its Campaign for Social Science are seeking an individual well-versed in social science and policy to undertake policy formation for both organisations. You’ll play a vital and exciting part in our work for and on behalf of social science and be a key member of our small, friendly team.
The deadline to apply is 9am, Friday 4th December.
- At the direction of the Head of Policy (primarily) and Executive Director
- Produce written submissions and responses to consultations, inquiries and calls for evidence by government, parliament, the EU, research and funding councils and other related consultative bodies.
- To undertake policy analysis and develop policy positions on behalf of the Academy/Campaign.
- Consult the Academy’s Policy Working Group (PWG), Campaign Board, Learned Societies and others as appropriate to gain input and in some cases approval for policy responses, especially where there are departures from previous practice
- To take responsibility for agreed areas of work and for producing responses
- To communicate the Academy and Campaign’s research and policy agenda in the media by writing e.g. articles, opinion-pieces and commentaries for external blogs and other platforms, working with the Communications Manager to maximise coverage.
- Compile policy related content for the websites and other media.
- Coordinate research projects undertaken by volunteers, donors-in-kind and contractors for the Academy/Campaign, ensuring their smooth-running.
- Present the Academy/Campaign’s research in formats appropriate to stakeholder groups (e.g. academics, social-science practitioners, policy-makers and the informed general public).
- Maintain a watching brief for news, reports, blog pieces, events and policy developments relevant to the Academy and Campaign’s research and policy agenda, and keep team members and other relevant stakeholders informed.
- Represent the Academy/Campaign at external events, including public speaking and presentations.
- Perform other tasks within the research and policy brief as agreed with the Head of Policy and Executive Director.
- Attend the Campaign Board and PWG.
- Knowledge and understanding of the social science disciplines, very broadly
- Knowledge and understanding of the policy and practice landscape affecting the social sciences, very broadly
- Understanding and experience of presenting evidence and policy formation within at least one of government, think tanks, learned societies, subject associations and campaigning bodies
- Pre existing contacts and networks across one or more of research, higher education, government and practice.
- Able to identify and then initiate comment on current issues affecting the social sciences
- High level of written English
- Good analytical and communication skills
- Consultative and collaborative
- IT proficiency
- Educated to at least graduate level in one of the ss disciplines
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Able to work flexibly as the role requires
Contract: Contract for Services, 3.5 days a week with flexibility to work as needed by the ebb and flow of work
Location: Flexible. HQ is 33 Finsbury Square, London EC2A.
Rate: OTE £25,000 (£36,500 pro rata)
Please supply a CV and role-specific covering letter to Helen Spriggs, Office Manager, on [email protected] by 9am, Friday 4th December 2015.
Interviews will be held on 10th December.